Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Squeaky Clean


IMG_0938
Originally uploaded by me-spirit.
The Adachi family invited us to partake in a typical Sunday: breakfast, lunch and a visit to an onsen. Ever so polite, they wanted to make sure we were okay with the day's plan. Masae-san, Adachi-san's wife, wanted my reassurance and reiterated the point that at the onsen, everyone is nekkid. I had no issues, as long as I could be discreet. At the onsen, we separated - Norv, Adachi-san and the boys to the men's section and Masae-san and I to the ladies. Without Masae-san, I don't know that I'd have remembered all of the rules and social norms to follow.

I appreciate a good soak and I succumbed to the local culture and soaked, experienced skinship and had girl talk with Masae-san. I know most folks would freak at the thought of sittting nekkid in an outdoor hot springs pool chatting with their gal pals but don't worry. It's not like the gym, where the exhibitionist women in the women's locker room prance immodestly like they're on the catwalk. It's all about modesty here and how one holds a towel strategically!

IMG_0939

These photos were from the sento at a ryokan in Miyajima, which I had all to myself on most occasions. The bad part was, I freaked out because I thought of her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home