Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Adachi Ko-en


IMG_0841
Originally uploaded by me-spirit.

Photos of a back yard? BFD, right? But when the back yard is as big as a ko-en, it's a big deal, especially for Japan. The Adachi family shrugs it off, but their plot of land is much larger than the average American yard. The Adachi family is 10 generations strong in Hamamatsu City and this ancestral land has been in the family. The family compound has 4 family homes plus their soy bean processing factory. And don't forget Adachi ko-en. There's even some more land beyond the hilltop.

The kids pointed out the different young bamboo growing; for our dinner, Masae-san and Adachi-san's mother picked vegetables from the garden; and the kids and I picked some "dai-dai" (a Japanese citrus fruit) which would be added to the sho-chu.

Adachi-san's mother heard that I love sansho for its spicy and numbing yet lemony taste, so she brought me to her tree and picked some leaves for me. It's used as a garnish, but I munched on it on the train ride the next day.



IMG_0842 IMG_0843 IMG_0847 IMG_0879

3 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Dada here, from Nabua. I came across your blog while searching for articles about Nabua. You might want to visit www.nabua.tk. Thank you.

Dada, Coordinator for Kultura Volunteers

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger demondoll said...

OMG- I screamed when I read the title of you site!

I love you, The Lumpia!
PS- The Boy is gaining on us FAST. You'll see in HI :-)

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger demondoll said...

oofta. It's supposed to your. Anyway, I'm off to read more of your posts... will comment more soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home